Our History

 

In 1924, the Greek Orthodox Community established the historical Transfiguration of the Savior Church in the center of Kolkata. The church was closed in 1972. It was reopened and renovated with the arrival of Fr. Ignatios Sennis in 1991. Fr. Sennis, rector of the Church, worked closely with the local community. With the help of Sister Nectaria Paradisi, Fr. Sennis created the PSOC. The Society was officially registered as an NGO in 1993.

             

From the beginning, the Society targeted its philanthropic projects to benefit individuals and families suffering from acute poverty in West Bengal, and particularly the slum children in the city. Hard work and dedication, together with the continuous aid from generous benefactors, have resulted in the emergence of numerous effective, life-changing humanitarian programs. Little by little, the PSOC has developed a thriving local community of teachers, staff, and doctors.

Today, Sister Nectaria, with the help of Mr. Raju Bharat (President of the PSOC) and Mr. Raphael Maity’s hard work and dedication, continues to administer a range of humanitarian services to Kolkata and the surrounding villages. Health, shelter, education, and the most urgent needs of the poor are all addressed by the PSOC. The PSOC carefully and lovingly tailors services to meet each individual need. With clinics, schools, and community centers throughout the 52 villages of West Bengal, Sister Nectaria works diligently to approach the most urgent and promising cases first.

 

Cincopa WordPress plugin

At the PSOC, we measure success in individual growth and achievement. Sustainability is one of our core values, and all our projects employ local workers. Though the PSOC continues to rely on international aid for most of its services, we hope to reach a high level of sustainability, through development projects such as a local organic farm and solar energy, in the future.